Who Reviews the Protests & Appealing the BOE's Decision


Real Property Valuation Protests

Douglas County hires residential and commercial appraisers to act as referees. They review all filed protests.

Referees have the authority to:

-Recommend an adjustment (higher or lower) based upon the evidence presented.
-Recommend upholding the assessed values set by the Assessor.

Please note: Unless you provide evidence to the contrary, the law requires the assumption that the assessment is correct.

The Douglas County Board of Equalization will meet on or before August 10, 2018, to review the Referees' and Referee Coordinators' recommendations for each parcel protested.

The BOE will approve the recommendation for the parcel, or make a different valuation finding. The property owner will receive Notification of Board Action by mail. The Notification of Board Action will also be available on this web site after August 10, 2018.

To request hard copies of your Notification of Board Action (for $0.50/page), please contact:

Douglas County Clerk 1819 Farnam Street, Room H-08, Omaha, NE 68183, 402-444-6154

Appealing the BOE's determination

If you are not satisfied with the Board of Equalization's determination, you may file an appeal to the State Tax Equalization and Review Commission (TERC). This appeal must be filed on or before September 10, 2018.

To file an appeal with the TERC, you need the following:

-A TERC form (found at terc.nebraska.gov)
-A copy of your final Notification of Board Action
-$25.00 payable to the Tax Equalization and Review Commission